Miss Bias

26 August 2010

Kate Williams - London Fashion Week Launch

I love showcasing emerging designers, even more so when they are Australian. Kate Williams, an Australian born and raised fashion designer is emerging with great speed within the global world of fashion. Kate will be debuting her latest collection down the catwalk of the "A La Mode" show at London's Fashion Week in September 2010.

What you can expect from Kate Williams is femininity with an edge whilst still maintaining classic and tailored core elements in her designs, working with flattering jersey, nylon, cotton and wool to create an unique and individualistic style.


Kate was kind enough to spare some moments to answer some interview questions about herself and her label.


What does your label mean to you and to your buyers?
For me my label means the culmination of 7 years of hard work and the unending support of my family and friends. For my buyers I hope it means something that answers their needs: style, comfort, cut, colour – I hope I answer all of these in my new collection!

Australian raised and London based, what made you decide to further your studies and build your career out of London? After studying for my Bachelor’s degree at the Queensland University of Technology, I felt that I had a very good understanding of the Australian fashion industry and its aesthetic. I wanted to pursue further study overseas to get first-hand experience in another market. I chose London because it has such a vibrant fashion scene that includes people from all over the world. My MA graduate collection was received so well that it seemed the next logical step to start my own label here.

Where do you find your inspiration from? I find my inspiration in myriad sources... inspiration can come from anywhere really. My latest collection draws its inspiration from internal structures of the human body and oblique shapes found in nature.

As a fashion student myself, what advice would you give to someone who aspires to have their own fashion label? Try to maintain the passion! It is a LOT of hard work and can be very stressful – if there is no passion for what you do it would be almost impossible. You need to believe in yourself and what you do. Also, it is very important to have a supportive network of family and/or friends – without their support I don’t know where I’d be...certainly not where I am today!

What is your greatest achievement to date? My greatest achievement has been finishing this collection! I have had a lot of hurdles to overcome – but it has finally all pulled together and I’m pleased with the results!

You are about to showcase at London Fashion Week, who or what has been instrumental in you getting you to this point? My own personal drive to achieve my goals and, again, my family. I am so lucky to have their constant support and encouragement. Whenever I’ve had moments of self-doubt they’ve always been there to snap me out of it!

What are you currently working on? I’m currently working on some new print ideas for A/W and a very problematic dress for S/S – it has given me no end of trouble!

What do you look forward to in the future? I look forward to finishing that dress! But seriously, I’m hoping that my S/S collection will be a success and that buyers and the public want to invest in my pieces. After that, I’ll be looking forward to the next collection! My goal is to one day have my own flagship store – wow, that would be amazing!


The "A La Mode" show hosted by La Geneve North Events will take ast the prestigious Charing Cross Hotel in London on 17th - 18th September 2010.


For tickets and further information, please contact:

theresa@lagenevenorth.co.uk
www.lagenevenorthevents.co.uk
http://www.katewilliams.net/

No comments: