1. Be confident when wearing high boots. Both knee high and thigh high boots can make a huge impact on your entire outfit and can be the statement piece representing your own personal style.
2. Proportion is essential. High boots can easily look wrong in your styling, if you don't have the rest of the pieces you are wearing in the right proportion to compliment and/or balance out your high boots.
3. Don't be afraid of colour, print or texture. Black and brown are the the most commonly worn colours for high boots. Add a little "wow factor" to your outfit by wearing high boots in a vibrant colour, such as purple or a leopard print or even in an interesting texture.
4. Add an extra layer. Wear high boots with over jeans, leggings or high socks to add more interest to your overall look.
5. Wear high boots in the right context. What I mean is, pair your boots with the appropriate outfit. I personally think that high boots (both knee high and thigh high) are inappropriate to wear with corporate office attire or to a family function with a bikini top and a mini skirt. But personal style is about personal preference!
6. Have both a flat and heeled pair of high boots in your wardrobe. It's always good to have a variety of heels so that you can still create a fantastic impact at low key and/or high activity events without having to endure sore feet at the end of the day.
Balenciaga Resort 2012 - Style.com